Running for Social Justice
Every LZF marathon runner has run for a different reason: a mom proving she’s stronger than cancer, a law intern fighting discrimination in the work place, in memory of those lost in the 2013 bombing. But they have all had one thing in common: the desire to run in the world’s most famous race while raising money and awareness for a mission they truly believe in.
Join amazing heroes like Renee and run the Boston Marthon on behalf of The Lenny Zakim Fund. There is only one Boston, only one Boston Marathon, and only one Team LZF!
The Lenny Zakim Fund is thrilled to announce that John Hancock, the Boston Marathon’s principal sponsor, has awarded 2 bibs to LZF for the 2019 Boston Marathon.
About the Team LZF & the Boston Marathon Program
There is only one Boston, only one Boston Marathon and only one Team LZF! The Lenny Zakim Fund is thrilled to announce that John Hancock, the Boston Marathon’s principal sponsor, has awarded 2 bibs to LZF for the 2019 Boston Marathon.
- We are accepting applications now for our two bibs.
- You do not need to be qualified to run for The Lenny Zakim Fund.
- Qualified runners who don’t have the bib who would like one and to get seeded.
- Qualified runners who already have a number are also encouraged to run for the LZF; the minimum fundraising goal if you already have a bib is negotiable.
- Selected runners commit to raise funds for The Lenny Zakim Fund.
- Each runner pays for his/her own training costs (shoes, gear, etc.) and the entry fee to the B.A.A.
Each Team LZF member has the opportunity to join Dreamfar High School Marathon‘s innovative and holistic marathon training program. Through this program, you will have access to:
- A personalized marathon training plan
- Food and dietary advice
- Physical Therapy clinics
- A community of runners who are working toward the same goal as you!
- A once in a lifetime experience running with highly motivated high schoolers!
- Each selected runner commits to raising a minimum of $7,500 for The Lenny Zakim Fund.
- Engage your network! Your friends, family, and colleagues already support your commitment to run, now ask them to support the mission you’re running for!
- Find out if your company supports a charitable matching program. A lot of companies are proud to build an environment of giving and community, and will do this through matching their employees’ charitable donations or making a gift on behalf of an employee.
- Get corporate sponsors! Sponsorship is a fast and easy way to get larger sums of money toward your fundraising goal.
- Have a party! With our help, host an event, your own auction, or a raffle, and use the proceeds to fund your run!
Use LZF’s staff expertise – with our help you can craft meaningful messages and be confident in your outreach!
- Each runner will have a donation page supplied by our partner John Hancock through crowdrise.com. Crowdrise offers innovative e-mails and promotions with prizes so that you can further motivate your donors!
- Click this link to access the application.
- Applications due on December 21st
- Selected runners will be notified at the end of December
Team LZF members raise $10,000 individually to support Lenny Zakim Fund. Each team member additionally has the opportunity to train with our grantee- Dreamfar High School Marathon. This innovative and holistic marathon training program offers access to clinics, advice, planning and the chance to run with highly motivated high schoolers!
The Lenny Zakim Fund is honored to be part of John Hancock’s Nonprofit Marathon Program which allows us to send runners to the Boston Marathon.
Our 2018 Team LZF
Caroline has decided to run for the Lenny Zakim Foundation because she’s passionate about the late founders mission, vision and work improving the social and economic issues. She would really like to be on the inner circle as far as visiting sites, meeting inspirational people and attending the ceremonies.
Lumina Gershfield Cordova
I am running my first marathon and fundraising for The Lenny Zakim Fund and their grantee Sibling Connections. Sibling Connections helps siblings separated in foster care to reconnect with each other. I’m running because I was a foster kid & know the feeling of being separated from those you love most.
LZF is such an important contributor to the Boston area’s health and vitality; providing essential start up support for the next generation of ideas and innovations directed at solving intractable social problems and remedying chronic injustices.
The Lenny Zakim Fund is an amazing charity and I look forward to fundraising and representing for this great cause- “making a difference, one person at a time.
Chris believes that the most effective and tangible changes can be wrought at the local level and is proud to be supporting Team LZF, The Lenny Zakim Fund and the work they do for local communities.